Sign up for a gym membership. Eat better and follow a nutrition plan. Try a new workout class. Lose weight.
We’ve all been there. It’s the new year, and we make resolutions for ourselves, only to give up by February. Why does this happen?
1. Set Fitness Goals, Not Resolutions
Resolutions by definition are a firm decision to do or not do something. As a result, they’re absolute and can often be intimidating.
Goals are an object of your ambition or effort, an aim or a desired result. They sound less scary—and more achievable.
What if you approach 2020 with the mind-set of setting attainable goals, instead of making intimidating resolutions? Reframing your thought process and being kinder to yourself is the first step toward growth.
After all, there is no such thing as failure when you’re reaching your goals, as long as you don’t give up!
2. Make Your Fitness Goals SMART
So you’ve set some goals for yourself this year.
They might be:
- Professional goals, like getting a promotion at work./li>
- Health goals, like starting a strength training routine.
- Personal goals, like reading more books.
How do you stay committed to achieving them?
SMART goals empower you to reach milestones and celebrate success along the way.
How Do You Write a SMART Goal?
SMART stands for specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-based. They’re specific but not overwhelming.
Your SMART goals could be:
- Read for 20 minutes before bed every night this week.
- Eat vegetables at every meal this week.
- Go for walks after dinner every day this week.
Setting SMART goals will prevent you from being overwhelmed by your goals. They’ll also help keep you motivated to continue achieving them.
3. Share Your Fitness Goals with a Friend
And don’t forget to share your goals with someone! Having an accountability partner can help you stay motivated during the process.
4. Sign Up for a Free Week at FXB
Ready to finally achieve your fitness goals this year?
Setting (and reaching) goals is just one part of the healthy lifestyle we teach at Farrell's. Sign up for a free week at your local Farrell's and learn how we can help you reach yours.