Let’s be honest, nutrition is one of the more difficult changes our Farrell's eXtreme Bodyshaping members undergo, but it’s also the most rewarding. What to eat in general has become more confusing and more ridiculous as new diets and fads are always emerging.
Diets aren’t sustainable. Why? Because most diets focus on cutting back on something, like calories, carbs, or fat. Not only is this unhealthy, but also impractical. Our bodies are machines that need to be fueled the correct way to function properly. Limiting essential nutrients is bad for your physical and mental health. In addition, research shows that only 1% of people who diet alone actually drop their excess weight, and more often, gain it all back and sometimes more.
Good nutrition is an important piece of our program. Since our very first 10-week challenge in 2001, Farrell's has had the same approach when it comes to nutrition—keeping it simple! It’s not a diet, it’s a lifestyle change in food consumption.
How we eat, what we eat, and the “ingredients” put into our food have considerably changed over the years. We educate our members on making healthy choices and give them the tools and resources to be successful.
So, what makes Farrell's nutrition program unique?
- Food is fuel. This is the most important part of our nutrition program. Many people use food as an escape, a friend, or an indulgence. While it’s nice to treat yourself every once in a while, it’s become normal in our society making obesity an epidemic. Our members are trained that food is fuel for our bodies and should be treated in that fashion. Nothing more.
- We don’t count calories! Whew! Finally, a nutrition program that doesn’t count calories! We don’t focus on calories because many foods have empty calories. Also, a food may be higher in calories, but have a greater fiber content and carb/protein ratio, which is more important than the calories.
- The right formula. We follow a specific formula to set your carb/protein ratio for each meal based on your body composition. This helps you know how many carbs and how much protein you should be eating to fuel your body until your next meal or snack, allowing your body to stay in “burn mode” instead of “store mode.” We also teach about good and bad fat. We need to consume good fat as it supplies our bodies with needed nutrients and vitamins we can’t get anywhere else.
- Eat less, but more often! Over the course of three hours after we eat, food goes into our blood stream—known as blood sugar or your glycemic index. If too much fuel is taken in, our bodies go into “store mode” turning extra sugars into fat. Too little and we start to starve our muscles. Our members consume smaller, proportioned meals every three hours to top off the tank, so to speak, to keep their body in “burn mode.”
- Fun Day. This is what makes our nutrition program flexible. Farrell's Fun Day is one day during the week (usually Sunday) where our members can celebrate their week’s successes. This is when they can have those indulgences. You can eat what and how much you want on your Fun Day, as long as you put in your Level 10 during the week with your workouts and nutrition plan!
- Water. Our bodies are mostly composed of water, so drinking adequate water is essential to our total health. Water keeps our body and muscles hydrated, as well as helps alleviate muscle stiffness. Our members aim to drink at least 10 glasses of water a day. Drinking a glass of water before eating will help make you feel full faster, allowing you to keep portions under control.
So, you could spend lots of money on fad diets, specific meals that tally points, counting calories or eliminating every delicious food from your meals.
Or for a fraction of the cost of a diet plan alone, you could sign up for Farrell's next 10-week session and discover how to live a healthy lifestyle and eat everyday, good-tasting food! You’ll learn how to eat healthy and participate in intense workouts that burn fat, build muscle, and gain confidence and energy.
Find a location to find out more about our comprehensive program and to join! You won’t believe how much you can transform in as little as 10 weeks with Farrell’s.
FYI—You can eat bread daily with the Farrell's program too!